This program of choice is for students that have an interest in increasing their knowledge of animals. The purpose of this program is to develop an understanding of Veterinary and related careers. One goal of the program is to prepare students for employment or advanced training in the animal/ veterinary industry. The program focuses on broad, transferable skills and stresses the understanding and demonstration of a wide variety of elements related to the veterinary assisting and animal science industries.
Students will gain real world experience with various species including dogs, horses, cattle, etc. through our high quality dog grooming and livestock facilities. A variety of guest veterinarians provide additional training for our students, providing authentic hands-on experiences. In addition, motivated students can pursue their Certified Veterinary Assistant (CVA) Certification through the Florida Veterinary Medical Association. CVA requirements include coursework, demonstration of specific skills, practical experience in a veterinary clinic and an online exam.
All FPCHS Veterinary/Agriscience students become members of the Bunnell FFA. FFA encourages members to develop important skills including but not limited to communications, leadership and teamwork. In addition members make lasting friendships and provide opportunities to travel, earn recognition, scholarships and participate in a variety of competitions.
If you are interested in applying for this Program of Choice please complete the Program of Choice Application.
As part of the Veterinary Assisting program students will take the following courses:
- Agriscience Foundations - Honors (Freshman)
- Suggested Prerequisite
- Can be used as a Science Credit with Lab OR Elective Credit
- Veterinary Assisting 1 - Honors (Sophomore/Junior)
- Veterinary Assisting 2 - Honors (Junior/Senior)
- Veterinary Assisting 3 - Honors (Senior)
- Veterinary Assisting 4
- Agriculture Directed Studies (Individual Course Work)
- Agriculture On the Job Training
- AEST Animal Science Specialist (Veterinary Assisting 2–3)
- FVMA Certified Veterainary Assistant (Veterinary Assisting 3–4)
- AEST Agricultural Associate (Ag Foundations)